The Best Exercise Bikes For Seniors (No.1 Will Make You Want To Pedal All Night Long)
Eclipsing into our golden years not only welcomes the inevitable physical and mental changes that come along with it. Our senior days also follow the same route if we’re still engaged into some fitness regimen — we just cannot get to try the same gym equipment that we had before.
As it goes, we’re provided with exercise devices that should cater to our specific needs. One of the few equipment that works for us is an exercise bike, and in this article, I’ll disclose to you some of the only things you’ll ever need to know when looking for the best exercise bikes for seniors!
In our discussion, you’ll also be able to learn the crucial benefits these bikes should provide you along with the various types of which that you can choose.
Before you even begin selecting an exercise bike or an exercise program, consult with your physician first. This will save you from a lot of hassle and tons of money too. Once you’re able to secure a medical clearance, ask your doctor in regards to the sets and repetitions that should correspond to your health and to your goals for that matter.
Types Of Exercise Bikes For Seniors
1. The Traditional Upright Bike
This type of exercise allows the rider to sit above the bike frame that is akin to the more traditional bicycles out there. To sit correctly on this bike, you must be slightly hunched over with a little bend in the neck and back.
Meanwhile, the seat is usually smaller on traditional upright bikes. This can result to aches and pain right in your buttocks or is currently dubbed as “saddle soreness”. Further, these bikes possess pedals that are positioned under its body.
Here are some of the benefits you can get from traditional upright bikes:
2. The Recumbent Exercise Bikes
A recumbent exercise bike is a type of stationary bike in which the rider is seated well into the bike frame. As such, the biker is provided with a more comfortable and naturally-reclined body position.
This should alleviate your body fatigue and remove the muscle soreness in your upper body. Compared to the traditional upright exercise bikes, the recumbent bikes’ seats are more comfortable.
Mechanically, you’ll be subjected with a much larger seat. The pedal on recumbent bikes are also distinctively positioned right in front of the body.
Here are some of the benefits you can get from recumbent exercise bikes:
A Quick Buying Guide For Seniors Before Buying An Exercise Bike
As everyone has distinct preferences when it comes to buying exercise bikes, these all boil down to a more important feature — your overall safety. Along with safety features, these crucial factors should also be considered:
Best Exercise Bikes For Seniors In 2017
**Below, you'll find more detailed reviews, but you can also click links above to check current prices and read customer's reviews on Amazon.
1. Exerpeutic Folding Magnetic Upright Bike With Pulse
A greater freedom on tension resistance is provided in this Exerpeutic’s next entry. It comes with a 8 Level Magnetic Tension control system that allows you to modify the tension level whether you’d like to lessen it or add more challenge in it.
The product is also equipped with a comfortable seating that should address those users who are often irked with their cramped offerings.
Its compact design should likewise lure those who like the equipment to be folded away for storage or just move it to another location. The noise that is usually produced when being pedaled can now be alleviated by its adjustable screws or bolts.
- Comes with a large seat cushion for extreme comfort
- Equipped with Hand Pulse Monitor
- Compact design for easy storage
- Features an 8 Level Magnetic Tension Control System
- Large LCD display
2. Exerpeutic 900XL Extended Capacity Recumbent Bike
Our first entry is ideal for those who are carrying some extra weight as it can handle up to a 300-pound user capacity. On top of that, it features an even wider seat to accommodate those who are looking for comfort and ease. Its magnetic resistance is specially designed to withstand challenging workouts while its hand pulse pads should aid you in targeting those heart rate zones.
Exerpeutic 900XL Extended Capacity Recumbent Bike With Pulse also offers worthy workout sequences as it tries to minimize the stress on your joints and back. And if you’re up to add more challenge in it, you can utilize its Eight-Level Magnetic Tension Control System that enables you to modify your biking sessions.
- Features Eight-Level Magnetic Tension Control System for customization
- Ideal for those with extra weight
- Comes with easy-to-read LCD display for distance, time and calories burned
- Has a wider seat
- Boasts of a quiet operation
- Accompanying seat may be uncomfortable for some
3. Marcy ME 709 Recumbent Exercise Bike
If you’re looking for a closest alternative on larger and more expensive exercise bikes, this inexpensive entry from March should work for you. It offers a built that boasts of a compact design that also fits rightly into the smaller spaces at your home.
The recumbent bike from Marcy also features 8 levels of preset resistance along with an easy-to-modify tension-tightening knob for different fitness levels. Meanwhile, your speed, distance, time and the calories that are burned during your sessions are adequately tracked by its large console display.
- Features 8 levels of preset resistance
- Comes with easy-to-adjust tension-tightening knob that allows various fitness levels
- Speed, distance and time are tracked by a large console display
- Adjustable foot straps with counterbalance pedals
- Only weighs 66 pounds
- Adjustable bottom bar may be a bit difficult to move
- Seat may be uncomfortable for some
4. Sunny Health & Fitness Pro Indoor Cycling Bike
This should suit users who are looking for a product’s longevity and quality at the same time. These factors are set by its heavy duty steel frame and crank that also go far no matter where your fitness needs intend to go.
Also, Sunny Health & Fitness SF-B901 Pro Indoor Cycling offers a fully adjustable seat and adjustable handlebars that let you enjoy a customizable experience, comfort, and compatibility.
Measuring 20 X 46.5 x 48.5 inches, this entry is developed for from moderate to large-sized individuals as it can handle 275 pounds. On the other hand, this entry may not fare well for those who are not into a slightly complicated set-up.
- Equipped with adjustable resistance system
- Comes with a distinctive heavy duty crank system
- Fully adjustable seat and handlebars for comfort
- Fluid chain drive mechanism
- Easier mobility with its integrated transport wheels
- Flywheel may produce loud noise when spinning
- Pedal may be fragile for some
5. DeskCycle Desk Exercise Bike Pedal Exerciser, White
Offering the lowest pedal height available in the market now, this entry should suit those who are into multi-tasking. It can work while you’re at your desk or while you’re watching your favorite TV show.
Meanwhile, the product is more competitive than most of its rivals in pedals exercises as it offers more than twice in terms of its resistance range. It also has 8 calibrated resistance settings to make your experience all the more flexible.
The device is also equipped with its distinct magnetic resistance that should give you a seamless, less noise pedal motion. Your corresponding speed, time, distance and calories are effectively scanned and monitored with its 5 function display at your convenience.
- Offers the lowest pedal height among pedal exercisers
- Comes with more than twice the resistance range than most of its competition
- Equipped with magnetic resistance for smooth pedaling motion
- 5 Function Display for speed, time, distance, etc.
- Ideal for workplace
- Not suitable for users with shorter legs
- May not fit under some desks
- Less safe for seniors
Most of the drawbacks that are generated by these equipment come from their uncomfortable seats. They may either be sporting sturdier seating materials or a smaller space in their offerings which ultimately render the experience painful or worse, can further the struggles users are trying to alleviate.
If you think there is still a formidable entry out there that I’ve not included, please share these products in the comment section below, Until then, enjoy your new pedals at home!